32nd ATHENS CLASSIC MARATHON
Making the unique Marathon a CLIMATE FRIENDLY EVENT
supported by POWERADE / Coca-Cola Hellas
a scheme that is recognised by the United Nations Environment Program CLIMATE NEUTRAL NETWORK.
For the last eight years together we have offset more than 2250 tons of CO2 equivalentfor the last seven years together we have offset more than 2500 tons of CO2 equivalent.251 TONS OF CO2 OFFSET BY THE INTERNATIONAL PARTICIPANTS
2089 LOCAL PARTICIPANTS VISITED THE NEW DEDICATED WEB SITE AND OFFSET ANOTHER SIX TONS OF CO2
THE GREEN GOLD MARATHON WENT CLIMATE FRIENDLY FOR THE SEVENTH TIME
- Coca-Cola Hellas has supported the climate neutrality of the emissions resulting from the international participants of the 31th Athens Classic Marathon.
This was done for the third time from the moment the overall green Athens Classic Marathon scheme-supported as a whole by Coca-Cola Hellas- has been established as the first Greek member of the United Nations Environment Program, CLIMATE NEUTRAL NETWORK.
- Once again, SEGAS provided us with the emails of all the participants, thus a written communication of this initiative was sent worldwide.
- Global Challenges prepared a booth in the Marathon EXPO close to the registration of the athletes ,where all engaged participants claimed their personalised climate neutral participation certificate. We must highlight that SEGAS has mentioned the climate neutral initiative as a major program of the organization during the press conference at the opening of the registration period, in Marathon EXPO.
- With the permission of SEGAS and over the marketing agreements of POWERADE / Coca-Cola Hellas about the event, banners informing the visitors/runners and companions of the Athens Classic Marathon were installed at the MARATHON EXPO,
as well as at the registration area.
- It is estimated that more than 3500 persons Greek and foreigners stopped at the GLOBAL CHALLENGES booth either to register to the climate friendly initiative and receive their certificate or to get information about the initiative and how
to assist in climate change fight.
423 runners coming mainly from Europe decided to offset their flight emissions .This resulted to approximately 251 tons of CO2 equivalent.
- The feedback we received from the persons that decided to offset as well as from those who took information was very positive and encouraging, aknowledging the initiative taken by the event organizer and supported by Coca-Cola Hellas.
- The elite athletes such as the winner of last year Athens Classic Marathon Reymond BETT and others received their climate neutral participation certificates.
Konstantina Kefala, Kostas Poulios and the winner of the Greek Marathon Championship Dimitris Theodorakakos were informed about the project, expressed their satisfaction that the Marathon is taking substantial action regarding very important global issues such as climate change.
- The participants were already informed about the offset cost of their flights and once at the booth the staff was showing them the process of calculation based on the CLIMATEPARTNER flight calculator platform featuring all the possible flights, types of airplanes and giving the possibility to choose between flight classes.
- This year the offseting expenses will be realized by supporting a hydroelectricity plant in the region of Aguacapa river, Guatemala.
- The project mitigates CO2 emissions by reducing the demand of energy coming from fossil fuels thus replacing a total of 199,000 t CO2 equivalent.
The project is validated by the Green Certificate Company and contributes to the reforastation of the area as well as to the creation of job opportunities for the local population.
- THE DEDICATED ATHENSCLASSICMARATHON-GREEN WEB SITE
- With the intention to maximize the outreach of the Green Athens Classic Marathon initiatives supported by Coca-Cola Hellas, Global Challenges decided to review and renew the existing web site where the Greek participants could offset their emissions.
A brand new look was introduced, more user friendly, giving a lot of the necessary information.
Apart from the Greek language section of the site, a complete English version was introduced. This web site can definitely be used by Coca-Cola Hellas as a dynamic exhibition of the initiatives that has been supported by the company during the last seventh years. The feedback we have regarding the redesigned site are very enthousiastic.
This year, the awareness raising and information dissemination about the offsetting scheme for the local participants resulted to 2089 clicks on the meter. By clicking the meter on this site, 3 Kgrs of CO2 would be offset by Coca-Cola Hellas as a result of the emissions of transportation associated to their participation to the race. In addition, all the initiatives undertaken by SEGAS during these 7 years throught the support of Coca-Cola Hellas were presented in this web site giving a comprehensive image of the company’s commitment.
- GLOBAL CHALLENGES had the chance to present the climate neutral initiative during a UNEP/CLIMATE NEUTRAL NETWORK webinar before the Athens Classic Marathon, acknowledging the Coca-Cola Hellas contribution to make this project happen.